Coordinator Public Health
Salary range (Band 8) $119,415 – $133,816 + Super
The City of Greater Dandenong is an organisation of exceptional character. We invest in the development of our people and the community and we strive to be a workplace that is respectful, engaged, accountable, creative and honest. We are a progressive organisation, in a city that is on the move and we offer a dynamic and rewarding work environment.
We offer exceptional working conditions and are focused on providing a workplace that values diverse contributions, cares for your health and wellbeing and fosters a positive work culture. We ensure all people have an equal opportunity for employment and advancement within our organisation.
We embrace our diverse community and work environment and encourage applications from everyone including people of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander background, people of diverse sexual orientation and gender, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people of varied age, ability, and faith. Council will give due consideration to any workplace adjustments to accommodate the needs of any prospective or existing staff member.
Regulatory Services provides public health, public safety, compliance, education and enforcement functions related to Environmental Health, Animal Management, Fire Prevention, Local Laws, Parking Management, School Crossing Supervision, Planning Compliance and Civic Safety services. This vacancy arises from the resignation of the long-serving incumbent.
The Public Health team provides a monitoring, inspection, education and registration service for businesses required to be registered in relation to food safety and public health, in the most culturally diverse municipality in Victoria. The Unit also investigates and responds to public concerns regarding matters of food safety and public health.
The primary objectives of the position are:
- To ensure compliance with Council’s obligations under public health and related legislation.
- To provide leadership of the Public Health Unit and ensure that day to day operations of the Unit are carried out efficiently and effectively.
- To ensure budget, business plan targets and all relevant procedures and standards are met or exceeded.
- To develop implement and manage programs and projects that protect, enhance and develop the City’s services.
- To maintain a key emphasis on continuous improvement and the application of Best Value principles in the management of public health services.
To be successful in this role, you must be an energetic, flexible and career minded individual who can demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, experience and attitudes:
- Degree qualifications in Public Health or related field, along with demonstrated understanding of relevant related legislation
- demonstrated experience as a council environmental health officer
- Demonstrated understanding of current public health issues particularly affecting diverse communities
- Demonstrated team leadership experience and skills Demonstrated availability and capability to work evenings and weekends and undertake rostered on-call availability,
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and, customer service skills, particularly within CALD communities and industry,
- Demonstrated computer literacy,
- the ability to write reports and/or submissions where required,
- Current Victorian Drivers Licence
Applicants must adequately meet the requirements of the role and fully address the selection criteria contained in the position description. To view a copy of this position description, please click on the link below.
You may be required to undertake psychometric testing.
The successful candidate will be asked to consent to a national police check (and where relevant an ‘international criminal history check’), subject to the operation of spent conviction laws. Please note that people with criminal records are not automatically barred from applying for this position. Each application will be considered on its merits.
We offer a range of benefits for staff including a friendly team environment, salary sacrificed child care (where available), discounted gym membership and a vibrant social club.
Further information: Peter Shelton (03) 8571 1445
Applications close: 5pm, Friday 23 February 2018